Monday, August 11, 2008

On being a daddy - the second time around

We got word Thursday afternoon that my wife (Eva), had Obsetric Cholestasis (OC). She had been suffering from severe itching, and finally after some testing, it was confirmed that she had developed this condition.

It isn't very common, but it is a complication that can occur during pregnancy. OC is not usually serious, and there is no conclusive studies that prove that this condition poses any real threat to the mother or baby, but the practice now is to deliver the baby around 37 weeks as a precautionary measure.

The risks for the baby are believed to be a slightly higher chance it will be stillborn. The normal risks of a stillbirth are 1 out of 100, and it is believed that OC increases that risk slightly but again, this hasn't been proven.

The risk to the mother is serious bleeding in the womb after birth, but once again it isn't clear whether OC and the severe bleeding are associated. Because of the possibility of serious bleeding, the mother is treated with high does of vitamin K - but this treatment follows all births.

So what does this all mean to us? A lot of reading and that added fear of the above noted complications - and inducing my wife early. The due date wasn't actually until the 28th of August.

The practice of inducing labor because the mother has developed OC is actually under review, but for now, we will be among the rare few who are induced early after what seemed a normal, healthy 9 months of pregnancy, because of the fears that are currently associated with OC.


Friday we were sent for some tests (well my wife was), just to make sure mommy and baby were healthy. Should there have been any cause for concern, my wife would have been admitted and induced right away. Otherwise, she was scheduled for this sunday to start the process.

I won't go into any gorey details about yesterday afternoons procedure. It was actually quick and painless. Although it is rare that this procedure causes a mother to go into labor, there is that chance. Bottom line, it is just getting momma and baby ready for the big day. And that day is today.


It is 10:49 in the morning. My wife is supposed to be going for blood tests before she is induced. At this rate, she is going to give birth at some god aweful time in the morning. :( They should be calling soon???? Arghhhh....

So, while my wife takes our daughter to daycare for the day, and I wait for the phone to ring, I thought I would post some thoughts on my blog. When our first child was born, Emma, I actually blogged for a couple of days before it all happened. I only have hours this time before baby number two is born, but I'll get in what blogging I can.

If the phone rings soon, this will be my only pre-birth post. :)

No comments: