Monday, August 11, 2008

The waiting game

Well, it’s 3:07pm. We have been here for about an hour. The IV is in, and the process is under way. There isn’t much to report yet. I am sitting in the waiting room with my brother-in-law, while my sister and our doula hang out with my wife for a bit.


We are watching Mrs. Doubtfire. Well, I am more listening as I putter around in search of the baby thoughts within.


This time around is certainly more relaxed. At least for me. My wife doesn’t like knowing what is coming, as compared to suddenly going into labour and it just happening on its own.

It was strange us all walking into the hospital together. We were all much more prepared than last time. Portable DVD players, laptops, books, art supplies, writing materials. Everyone seemed to remember a few things that they wished they would have brought last time when we spent 24 hours together. My parents were here last time as well, but this time they are picking up our daughter from daycare, feeding her supper, and putting her to bed.


My sister is going to stay with Emma tonight should the baby still be unborn. Otherwise, she will be staying at the hospital with my wife overnight, and I will be on Emma duty.


We are all hoping this won’t be a birthing marathon the second time around.


Well, one thing is for certain. We are here until the baby is born. There will be no going home to wait for the water to break or the contractions to be closer together. The doctors will be doing what they do to make sure sometime in the next 24 hours, there will be another baby in the family.


It's my turn in the room so I will sign off for now.

No comments: